Timothy is an introduced, cool season, perennial, high quality bunch grass typically used for pasture and hay. It has a shallow root system that requires irrigation in our arid southwest climate. This highly palatable grass is typically used in horse hay. It is best planted in deep bottomland soils. Timothy typically germinates in 7 to 10 days under the right conditions.
- Type: Cool Grass
- Purpose: Pasture
- Latin Name: Phleum pratense
- Height: 16" - 30"
- Cool/Warm: Cool
- Sun/Shade Tolerance: 2 - Both
- Min. Precipitation: 16"+
- Seeds Per Pound: 1,300,000
- Native/Introduced: Introduced
- Annual/Perrenial: Perennial
- Planting Rate: 3 - 5 pls lbs/ac
- Growth Pattern: Bunch
- Variety Release Sheet:
- USDA Sheet: https://plants.usda.gov/factsheet/pdf/fs_phpr3.pdf
Southwest Seed is happy to help. Please feel free to call or email us for more information about our products and services. Before you get in touch, you might take a look at our Planning Guide. It has information that you can gather prior to contacting us so that we can efficiently answer your questions.