Slender Wheatgrass is a native, cool-season, perennial bunch grass that can be used for grazing, hay production, and reclaiming disturbed sites. It is adapted to elevations ranging from 4,500 to 12,000 feet. Slender Wheatgrass tolerates alkalinity up to pH 8.8 and salinity up to 16 mmhos/cm. It is palatable and nutritious for livestock and is one of the preferred wheatgrasses for elk and bighorn sheep at the higher elevations. It performs best for hay or pasture when grown with legumes. Although it only lives 4 to 5 years, Slender Wheatgrass is quick to establish and grows fast, making it an excellent component for reclamation mixes.
- Type: Wheat Grass
- Purpose: Pasture and Reclamation
- Latin Name: Elymus trachycaulus
- Height: 24"-32"
- Cool/Warm: Cool
- Sun/Shade Tolerance: 2 - Both
- Min. Precipitation: 12 inches
- Seeds Per Pound: 159,000
- Native/Introduced: Native
- Annual/Perrenial: Perennial
- Planting Rate: 6-10 lbs/acre Dryland
- Growth Pattern: Bunch
- Variety Release Sheet:
- USDA Sheet: https://plants.sc.egov.usda.gov/DocumentLibrary/plantguide/pdf/pg_eltrt.pdf
Southwest Seed is happy to help. Please feel free to call or email us for more information about our products and services. Before you get in touch, you might take a look at our Planning Guide. It has information that you can gather prior to contacting us so that we can efficiently answer your questions.