Rocky Mountain Fescue is a cool season, native bunch grass typically found at higher elevations. It grows well on sandy, gravelly soil but has also been found to grow relatively well on more clayey soils. Rocky Mountain Fescue can grow up to 3′ tall with the right moisture and is very palatable for livestock. This species is a good erosion control, reclamation species for higher altitude areas. Typically germinates in 1 – 3 weeks when conditions are right.
- Type: Fescue
- Purpose: Reclamation, Browse/Forage, and High Elevation
- Latin Name: Festuca saximontana
- Height: 12" - 30"
- Cool/Warm: Cool
- Sun/Shade Tolerance: 1 - Very Sunny
- Min. Precipitation: 10"+
- Seeds Per Pound: 1,202,000
- Native/Introduced: Native
- Annual/Perrenial: Perennial
- Planting Rate: 1 - 3 pls lbs/acre
- Growth Pattern: Bunch
Southwest Seed is happy to help. Please feel free to call or email us for more information about our products and services. Before you get in touch, you might take a look at our Planning Guide. It has information that you can gather prior to contacting us so that we can efficiently answer your questions.