Redtop is an introduced, perennial, sodforming bunch grass that germinates quickly and can grow in a wide range of soils and pH levels. Typically in the Southwest it is used or reclamation work at higher elevations and in riparian type settings where moisture levels are high, because it requires at least 30 inches of precipitation. It can produce a great deal of forage but it does not handle frequent mowing/grazing and will not persist. Because it is a tiny seed, it should be planted very shallow (1/4 inch deep). Redtop typically germinates in 7 to 10 days when conditions are right.
- Type: Cool Grass
- Purpose: Reclamation, High Elevation, and Riparian
- Latin Name: Agrostis gigantea
- Height: 30" - 40"
- Cool/Warm: Cool
- Sun/Shade Tolerance: 1 - Very Sunny
- Min. Precipitation: 30"+
- Seeds Per Pound: 4,850,000
- Native/Introduced: Introduced
- Annual/Perrenial: Perennial
- Planting Rate: 1pls lb/ac
- Growth Pattern: Bunch
- Variety Release Sheet:
- USDA Sheet: https://plants.usda.gov/factsheet/pdf/fs_aggi2.pdf
Southwest Seed is happy to help. Please feel free to call or email us for more information about our products and services. Before you get in touch, you might take a look at our Planning Guide. It has information that you can gather prior to contacting us so that we can efficiently answer your questions.