Little Bluestem is a native, warm-season, perennial bunch grass found throughout North America. It has deep roots and is adapted to a wide range of soil types which makes it useful in reclamation mixes. It is palatable to livestock and big game. Little Bluestem is also an attractive ornamental grass that has become popular for xeriscaping and easy care landscaping. It has upright leaves that are blue-green during the summer turning to red/gold in the fall with showy seed heads. Little Bluestem provides excellent nesting habitat and the seeds are a high value food source for birds and small mammals.
- Type: Warm Grass
- Purpose: Pasture, Aesthetics, Reclamation, and Xeriscaping
- Latin Name: Schizachyrium scoparium
- Zone: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9
- Height: 18 to 36"
- Cool/Warm: Warm
- Sun/Shade Tolerance: 1 - Very Sunny
- Min. Precipitation: 10" annually
- Seeds Per Pound: 255,000
- Native/Introduced: Native
- Annual/Perrenial: Perennial
- Planting Rate: 4-10 pls lbs/acre, drilled
- Growth Pattern: Bunch
- Variety Release Sheet:
- USDA Sheet: https://plants.sc.egov.usda.gov/DocumentLibrary/plantguide/pdf/pg_scsc.pdf
Southwest Seed is happy to help. Please feel free to call or email us for more information about our products and services. Before you get in touch, you might take a look at our Planning Guide. It has information that you can gather prior to contacting us so that we can efficiently answer your questions.