Alkaligrass is a cool season, perennial, sod forming grass found in all but the warmest states (the deep south and southwestern states.) It was introduced from Europe. It is generally a low growing grass that can tolerate alkali soils well and is used frequently on roadsides especially in colder climates where salt is used on the roads for winter maintenance. Alkaligrass is often used as a sod building turf grass when soils have a salt content. It has a dense shallow root structure and once established is very hearty. Typically takes 10 – 14 days to germinate when conditions are right.
- Type: Cool Grass
- Purpose: Aesthetics
- Latin Name: Puccinella distans
- Height: 3 - 4# pls lbs/acre reclamation planting .5 lbs/1000 sq. ft.
- Cool/Warm: Cool
- Sun/Shade Tolerance: 2 - Both
- Min. Precipitation: 16"
- Seeds Per Pound: 1,500,000
- Native/Introduced: Introduced
- Annual/Perrenial: Perennial
- Planting Rate: 3 - 4# pls lbs/acre reclamation planting .5 lbs/1000 sq. ft.
- Growth Pattern: Bunch
Southwest Seed is happy to help. Please feel free to call or email us for more information about our products and services. Before you get in touch, you might take a look at our Planning Guide. It has information that you can gather prior to contacting us so that we can efficiently answer your questions.